Keating, PA

Keating Philadelphia & Erie Railroad Station
By Stephen F. Miller Jr. 


Keating Station was built in the 1850's as the Philadelphia & Erie built its railroad to Erie, PA and was located on the south side of the Sinnamahoning Creek, adjacent to the Keating Hotel and Store. 

Once the railroad spur from Karthaus was laid in 1883, Keating station became the a primary business and freight hub for the area.  The station employed a day and night operator, a telegrapher, as well as several men called "freighters" to unload bulk supplies for the miners and loggers upstream.

The Keating post office was located at the station, however it was called Nasby, as Keating was already taken.   Nasby was reportedly chosen by Colonel Noyes.

The station remained in operation until the 1960's and was demolished following the cession of passenger service after the Pennsylvania-New York Central Railroad merger.

 
ThumbnailDescription
Keating Hotel and Philadelphia & Erie Railroad Station, 1870s, Keating, PA
Keating Hotel and Philadelphia & Erie Railroad Station, 1870s, Keating, PA
Philadelphia & Erie Railroad Station and Covered Bridge, 1870s, Keating, PA
Women at Philadelphia & Erie Railroad Station, 1870s, Keating, PA
Philadelphia & Erie Railroad Station, Circa 1910, Keating, PA
Soldiers Guarding Keating Station, Circa 1910s

- back to www.ncpenn.com  -

Copyright 1999-2000, WWW.NCPENN.COM   
All code and content the property of Stephen F. Miller Jr. unless specifically stated.  
  Re-use of content is strictly by permission only!!
Send Comments, Additions & Suggestions to  COMMENTS@NCPENN.COM